A study says, almost 30% people in this world suffer with the gnashing and contracting between teeth. However, 8% suffer from sleep bruxism and 22% from wake bruxism. It is an oral parafunctional habit in which one excessively grinds and clenches their teeth. This is a very common dental problem, but most people are not aware that they are doing this. It can be seen in anyone, at any age. There are mainly two types of this dental condition as I mentioned above. One is sleep or nocturnal bruxism, which occurs during sleep and another one occurs during wakefulness, is awaken bruxism. There are lots of reasons for suffering from this problem but stress or anxiety could be one of the reasons for awhile bruxism while reasons of sleep bruxism are unclear. Both of them are equally harmful for teeth. It can cause higher tooth sensitivity and tooth damage. People suffer with this dental condition are mainly called bruxist or bruxers. Teeth damage is equal in both of the symptoms. Problems which can bring due to this disorder are:
1. Enamels getting damaged to the dentin, which causes sensitivity
2. Loose teeth and gums
3. Broken and damaged teeth
4. Tooth decay
5. Nerve damage
If you notice any of the following symptoms, then you are suffering from this common dental condition
1. Grinding sound in the night
2. Pain and soreness
4. Receding teeth
5. Inability to hear
6. Long lasting pain in the pain
7. Tight or painful jaw muscles
8. Swelling on the lower side of the jaw caused by clenching
9. Anxiety, stress and tension
Mouth Guard or Mouth Splints
If you are suffering from this common dental problem, then wearing a teeth splint at night is a great idea. Splint will create a physical barrier between upper and lower teeth to prevent the grinding and clenching. It is very easy to find a mouth guard at chemist or pharmacy store. These mouth guards are very easy to put up. Just 'boil and bite'. Mouth guards are commonly prescribed as they are very useful for speedy comfort.
There is no effective drug to prevent teeth gnashing and claching while sleeping. If stress or anxiety is the reason behind your tooth clenching and grinding then you should contact your dentist. Your doctor may prescribe anti-stress medicines. But these have harmful side effects as research on drugs for this dental condition is insufficient.
Some tips to help you in this dental problem
1. Avoid drinks that contain caffeine
2. Avoid alcohol
3. Stop chewing on pen, pencil or anything that is not food. Avoid chewing gum.
4. To prevent your teeth clinching during the day place the tip of the tongue between your teeth.
5. To cure bruxism tries to opt relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga.